Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Gobble It Up

Gobble! Like a turkey! And like eating food! Because it's Thanksgiving! Get it?
I know. It's pretty cheesy. Whatever.


If you didn't catch this already, I love being in the kitchen. And Thanksgiving is a pretty perfect time for that. I already started my prep last night. I spent almost three hours (not even counting bake time, mind you) preparing a couple of apple-berry pies. Before you roll your eyes at me taking so long prepping two pies, remember that this is my passion. And my work may not be worth it to all those people who just scarf down any food they can grab with their grubby little fingers, but I'm sure it's worth it to someone. I hope... If not, oh well. I know that I will end up doing these things even if I'm the only admirer.

The three hours was not me just putzing around. And I wasn't even dancing, either. Did you know that peeling, coring, and slicing apples takes a long flippin' time? I was unaware of this fact until last night. Now I know not to start peeling after 9:00 at night when I want to actually have slept come the next day. But I have an idea to solve this. Since I know I have so many diligent readers/followers/fans/whatever-it-is-that-people-who-read-blogs-are-called out there, I know one of you will gladly send me a device that prepares my apples for me. I don't really know what it's called. But when I find it on my doorstep, I'll have you over for pie. That's a fantastic deal if you ask me. I mean, who wouldn't want to eat pie with me? Every time I eat pie, it's with me. And it's rather enjoyable. So take that into consideration.

Once I got past the apples, the rest went pretty fast. Until I reached the crust, that is. I couldn't just do a normal crust. I had to go and cut the crust into the shape of leaves so that it would be unique or something like that. It looks cool, but I probably should have saved that for a pie that wasn't being finished at midnight. I stuck the finished products in the fridge with the hope they'd still look good when I baked them in the next two days. But now I can see that at least my first one looks decent, so here's hoping they taste scrum-diddly-umptious! Ha ha, just kidding. I don't want my pie tasting like a Disney film.


Along with my pie, I'm making my cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving breakfast! I'm a little nervous 'cause I've only made them once. They were delicious the first time, so I kinda need them to be great all the time to keep my reputation strong. I'm also taking a recipe from my school book for baked acorn squash with pear and cherry compote. Even if you don't like squash, this recipe is to die for. It might not be a "traditional" Thanksgiving dish, but gosh-darn it, I'll make it one.

Remember, don't be a vegetarian just because you think animals are treated cruelly. That turkey's gonna be on the table for the rest of your family anyway, so you may as well not waste food.

No comments:

Post a Comment